Top benefits include that it:
- Creates abdominal strength, challenging your abs.
- Develops trunk and pelvic stabilization.
- Challenges the breath with movement.
- Increases thoracic flexibility.
- Strengthens hip flexors.
- Helps to get to get the blood circulating through your body and will surely get you feeling toasty!
How to Do the Hundred:
- Start by lying on your back with your legs in tabletop. Engage your deep abs to round your lower spine into the floor. (Make sure you are not “pooching” your abs. To help, think of keeping your belly button to your spine!)
- Exhale and lift your head neck and shoulders off the mat until the bottom tips of your shoulder blades are just off of it. Then, reach your arms toward your feet. (Your arms will be about two inches off the mat.)
- Pump your arms up and down with a small range of motion with control, like a fist pump…only different. (Keep your elbows straight!) Inhale for five arm pumps and exhale for five pumps.
- Congratulations, you’ve just completed one set. Virtual high five, you beast you!
- Repeat nine more times for a total of 100 pumps.
Tips for a Highly Effective Hundred:
- Maintain your upper body position with strength by holding your pose. Don’t make like a seesaw – no rocking back and forth! The goal is to have your abs work to stabilize your torso against the pumping action of your arms.
- Keep space between your chin and your chest. To help, imagine you are holding a golf ball with your chin. (Or, hey, if you fancy the argyle appropriate sport yourself, feel free to use a real golf ball…)
- Keep your low spine on the mat by keeping your deep abs, like the all the latest Hollywood celebrities, engaged.
- As you become stronger, challenge your abs by lowering your legs toward the mat. Only lower your legs as long if you can maintain the connection of your spine to the mat and your deep abs. Work towards lowering your legs down to a 45 degree angle.
To summarize, if you want a 6 pack that’ll make the average set of Corona bottles jealous, the Hundred is an amazing workout.